Zombie Apocalypse – Is The Day Nigh?
With the phenomenon that is Zombies and the recent Dead Island game, have you planned out how you would survive a Zombie Apocalypse?
Zombies – the dead reanimated, humans infected with a deadly virus or even Nazi Zombies…Zombies have become a classic enemy. We see Zombies everywhere, from Anime’s like HighSchool of the Dead, Movies such as Zombie Diaries, Day of the Dead, 28 Days Later and Resident Evil and of-course games: Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Dead Island, and even Plants vs Zombies; it’s hard to escape the infectious breed of flesh-eating corpse’s.
There is a lot of speculation about whether Zombies could actually exist – is it possible that there could be a real Zombie Outbreak which would turn, no doubt into an Apocalypse? Well, realistically, the chances are slim but it hasn’t stopped many a gamer gathering round with a few drinks discussing how they’d plan their survival, I certainly have.
So, if a Zombie Outbreak did occur, what kind of Zombies would we most likely be facing? Unfortunately, the chances of the dead coming back to life are almost nil, so no slow, brain-dead corpses for us. No, the most realistic Zombie’s are those infected by a virus – but we aren’t talking about the T-Virus – more likely it will be something similar to the Rage Virus seen in 28 Days Later. Why? Because scientists creating a virus that could turn people crazy doesn’t sound so nonsensical does it? Especially nowadays, with all the new discoveries being made every day in Science and Medicine, I’d put my money on them finding something dodgy and it being somehow released to plague the public.
So, we are dealing with very angry people? Yes, humans infected with the Rage Virus are technically living infected and not ‘true’ zombies. As such, they are able to run [and fast] for long durations. What they gain in speed and fervor however, they lose in durability, as they can be killed by wounds to the chest, bleeding out, thirst, starvation, or even the infection itself. It’s also all theoretical, but these types of zombies may be able to recall basic human actions they learnt, like swimming or climbing. This of-course is never the case in movies because the protagonists need a fighting chance to survive but the movies never portray the real life possibilities.Not only that, but depending on how the infection is spread – whether it be by blood, saliva, even airborne – this could also cut down the chances of survival. So, does that mean humans stand very little chance of surviving a Zombie Apocalypse?
People – can be stupid. We see it often, they freak out and run away by themselves only to end up cornered and dead ten seconds later. So in a world full of zombies, the likely hood that there will be many humans left is slim, the population would probably drop to less than half over the first few days. Those who do survive however, how would they do it? There are many survival guides to making it through a Zombie Apocalypse, usually consisting of ‘venture out with sharpened kitchen knifes, loot the nearest super-market for supplies, then hold up inside with barricaded windows and doors till you have to restock.’ Smart yes, but the probability that it will go as smoothly as that is small. What if your outside, in Central London when the outbreak happens and you live miles away? That plan is gone out of the window. Not only that, but what if your surrounded by people who you deem unreliable in a crisis such as a Zombie Outbreak. Do you feed them to the fishes to secure your own survival, or do you put your life on the line to protect them?
Personally, I think there are a few things you should do first if the day does occur…
- Surround yourself with reliable people when you venture outside: No one man armies or frightened 14 year olds. Leave them inside or keep them as far away from the danger as possible.
- Take with you only a few good weapons: Baseball bats, swords, anything that can be used at range as well as close up. If a zombie is close enough for you to stab it to death with a kitchen knife – then it’s too close in the first place.
- Stock up on essentials only: There is absolutely no point in getting alcohol and things that take ten years to cook. Being drunk when surrounded by the distinct possibility of death is just bloody silly and the likely hood that you will be having a roast dinner with the family is a little too improbable. However, as a smoker myself, I would say grab as many boxes of your prefered brand as you can – it’s worse being nicotine deprived then having to deal with Zombies.
- Protect your allies: With the human race being wiped out left, right and centre, you are going to need to repopulate once/if the apocalypse is over. Now, I’m not saying rescue everybody you come across, especially if it is going to risk more lives than it saves, but don’t be completely malicious.
- Never be alone: Always be a group of three or more. So there is always someone watching your back and covering you.
Those aren’t necessarily my rules but the ones that I think are most likely to help people survive. To be honest, it’s hard to plan for something like a Zombie Apocalypse. I mean, plans go array for a simple party so planning to survive a horde of flesh-eating maniacs is far more complicated. However, doesn’t stop us does it?
So go ahead, tell me how you’d survive a Zombie Apocalypse?
You Might Also Like:
Popular This Week
|GTA V: No San Fierro, No Las Venturas: Rockstar announcement says it's Los Santos only. Sor...|
|Ratchet And Clank HD Collection Spotted: Ah Amazon, I should employ you as our go to guys for ne...|
|[UPDATE]Terraria Mod Collection: Re-build classic game worlds, find your way out of the ...|
|GIRP, The Rage Inducing Flash Game Spawned of QWOP: QWOP, it's a name that strikes fear into the hearts of ...|
|Space Invaders Case For iPad: Taito Corporation, a dedicated company for iPad accesso...|
|Operating Systems: A small history.: Because you were crying out for it, here's a small arti...|